Monday, February 29, 2016

Squash Muffin in a Mug

I have been fascinated by this idea of a healthy, low carb muffin-in-a-mug, evidently made popular by the book "Trim Healthy Mama'.  I started Paleo to see if perhaps a reaction to grains could be the cause behind my shortness of breath.  While I do feel healthier I have still been having issues with it. Some of my research leads me to believe that low iron may be the cause of it.  Every pregnancy I had, I was diagnosed with low iron and told to take an iron supplement so this actually makes sense for me. In the past 4 years, the nutrition in my diet has steadily declined with the demands of being wife, mother, teacher, chauffer, chaperone, volunteer and the list goes on.  Anyway, back to the muffin-in-a-mug, I bought some acorn squash because I read that it was good food to help your body absorb iron and wanted to include it in my muffin.  I used a recipe from this website and then adapted with my ingredients.   Here is my recipe:

Ingredients
1 TBS almond flour
1 TBS ground flax meal
1 TBS coconut flour
1 TBS chopped pecans (you can use walnuts)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg
1 TBS Unsulfured Blackstrap Molasses
1TBS mashed butternut squash (I would imagine you could use any type of squash, pumpkin or sweet potato)
1 TBSP butter (you can use coconut oil)
1 TBS almond milk

Directions
Melt butter in mug in microwave
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
Put in microwave for about 90-100 seconds. Don’t overcook.



I would have taken a picture but forgot before I ate it.   I must admit while it may not be sweet enough for everyone's taste, I did enjoy it and it was much better than the lemon muffin I attempted on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment